DGV Nav

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Deanna Durbin

Deanna Durbin, It Started with Eve

When the weather turns cold, there are few things I like more than staying inside my house, by the fire.  Chilly days like the ones we've been having make me want to either curl up with a book (I just started Hugo Cabaret, a kids' graphic novel that I've had on my shelf for years but never read) or to watch old movies.  I am a Shirley Temple fan, I must admit, and I like Judy Garland, but as far as the old cinema darlings go, Deanna Durbin is really one of my absolute favorites.  Whenever I was in high school and stayed home sick (admittedly, I wasn't always actually sick on those days), I would tune into TCM or AMC and watch old black and white movies.  Lucky for me, one of those sick days coincided with a showing of a  Deanna Durbin movie.  I think this may have been the first time I saw the movie It Started with Eve.  Later I would often try to find this movie, only to have no luck; I didn't realize at the time that it was a Deanna Durbin movie, and the only thing I remembered about it was that it had something to do with Eve and a piano.  Any time I tried to search for it, I would come up with Bette Davis' All About Eve.  Not too long ago, a few months maybe, I was sitting in the passenger seat on the way down to L.A. and the title popped up in my head.  A quick check on IMDB proved that I had finally remembered the movie I had so enjoyed.  I also loved watching Three Smart Girls and Three Smart Girls Grow Up.
Judy Garland is better remembered than Deanna Durbin, but Durbin was actually more popular during her era.  She was credited with keeping Universal Studios from going bankrupt in 1936. 

Three Smart Girls
(in three cute nautical inspired outfits)


from Three Smart Girls

from It Started with Eve



~Lori

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the onforgetable Deanna Durbin.
    Nice to see that young people still like the Deanna Durbin movies.
    In my youth, in the forties, i saw the movies in the local cinema here in Holland, hardly on release date!!
    Since than i remain a life-long fan of her.
    Collected her 22 movies which i still play with pleasure from time to time......
    I red as much as possible about her and concluded that she much have been an honest, right through the sea going, strong woman
    By the way: i enjoy your nice pictures and worth knowing thing on your blog.
    Good luck with all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words! Rebecca and I were just talking last night about what a shame it is that Deanna Durbin is not better remembered; she was such an outstanding talent. Thank you!
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...