DGV Nav

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Laundry Room Folding Counter and Shelves

 Hi All!  I hope your weekends are shaping up to be wonderful.  Mine is!  My fantastically amazing husband just installed my laundry room folding counter and I couldn't be happier.  He is now working on an ingenious little box cover for the unsightly hoses and knobs.  For the counter he used 1/2 inch pre-sanded plywood and added a front edge of 1 1/2 inch pine.  He then stained it with deep walnut color and waxed it using treewax.  This gives it a nice smooth finish and seals the stain.  The counter lifts right off so the machines can be serviced or moved for cleaning.
 Since the laundry room is right off the kitchen, I plan to use this counter for a beverage bar when I have company:  Can't you just imagine it all set up with silver ice buckets and pretty glasses!
 The corner shelves are made from the same materials as the folding counter.  They are to the left of the washer and dryer so they are super convenient.  What was once a wasted bit of space is now practical and pretty.
One thing I had to do--since everything here is out in the open--was to make my daily cleaning items appear a bit more attractive.  I used a candy jar for my laundry detergent and an oil dispenser for my fabric softener.  Folks:  The oil container for fabric softener works amazingly well!  No drips.  
Cheers to the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Love this!! I love the stain you picked! We have the same washer/dryer combo but my husband built a shelf for them to sit on - as opposed to buying the stands. But the only problem with that is they are too high to fold on top of! Oh well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. If there is one thing I've learned: In renovation there is almost always hindsight!
      I'm sure your under-shelves look fantastic anyway:)
      Rebecca

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I love it! So practical and yet so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you, Martha! You are the sweetest.

      Rebecca

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...